Home


Contacts


Parish Committees and Groups

Mass Times


Weekly Newsletter


Sacraments and other Services


Mary of Galilee, Aldinga


St Peter's, Normanville

St Joseph's, Willunga

Mary MacKillop


Schools


Cemeteries


Parish Photo Album


Useful links

mary

Mary MacKillop, a first-generation Australia, daughter of Alexander and Flora MacKilop, was born in Melbourne on January 14, 1842. In 1866 she was teaching in a Catholic school in Penola. Midway through 1867 Mary, with one companion, came to Adelaide to don Religious Habits as Sisters of St Joseph. Other young women joined them and, under the direction of Father Julian E Tenison Woods, this new Australian Congregation set out on its mission.

It was the need for education of poor children that was its first aim. Schools were opened at St Francis Xavier's Hall, in the suburbs and at Yankalilla, Willunga, Port Elliot, Robe and an ever-spreading pattern north from Adelaide to Blinman.

In 1985, as part of the South Australian Jubilee 150 Celebration, the old school-house at Willunga was restored. To mark the occasion, a little booklet titled "The History of St Joseph's Old School, Willunga" was produced. A .pdf version of this booklet is available from the following links:

Booklet, part one
Booklet, part two