LOCATION MAP



Home


Contacts


Parish Committees and Groups

Mass Times


Weekly Newsletter


Sacraments and other Services


Mary of Galilee, Aldinga


St Peter's, Normanville

St Joseph's, Willunga

Mary MacKillop


Schools


Cemeteries


Parish Photo Album


Useful links

St Peter's Church is located on the corner of Cape Jervis Road and St Andrew's Bvd at Normanville. The Church was established in 1858.

The colony of South Australia began in 1836 and by 1838, 32,000 acres had been surveyed in the Rapid Bay/Yankalilla district. By 1844 dozens of farms between Myponga and Rapid Bay were producing saleable crops and growth was escalating.

From 1850 to 1868 the population of the region increased significantly. Jetties were constructed at Second Valley, Normanville and Myponga Beach and flour mills at
Yankalilla, Second Valley and Normanville. Local government began with the proclamation of the District of Yankalilla in 1854.

The early settlers of the district included a
strong collection of Irish Catholic immigrants, who were keen to have their own church.

The Bishop of Adelaide, Bishop Murphy, came to the colony with a clear purpose of opening churches. In 1856 he and the other trustee priests Frs Ryan, Smyth and Fallon, purchased from Richard Connor,
'two acres more or less', being part of
Section 1007, for five pounds.

The site was well out of the town of
Normanville on the road to Rapid Bay and
what prompted the purchase of land in this
location remains a mystery.

The Foundation Stone was laid and blessed on 4 June, 1856 by Fr Peter Hughes, Parish Priest of Willunga, assisted by Fr J Snell CP of Morphett Vale. Progress on the building was slow work and it took another 18 months before the building was opened.

The opening of the Church was conducted by Fr Peter Hughes conducted the opening of the Church on 1 January, 1858 in the absence of Bishop Murphy who was gravely ill and died not long afterwards.

Archbishop Gleeson officiated for the Centenary Celebrations of St Peter's in 1958. Bishop Greg O'Kelly joined with Parish Priests, other clergy and visitors to celebrate the 150th Anniversary in January 2008. (Photos from the Sesquicentennary can be viewed in the Parish Photo Album.)